birding-aus

Albatross at Werribee :-)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Albatross at Werribee :-)
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:30:40 +1000
Vin Lam mentions Albatrosses at Ricketts Point, also in Port Phillip Bay.

Two species are listed as irregular at Ricketts Point in Birds of Port Phillip Bay ("BoPP", 1986). However the only records since then are of one Shy Albatross for 5 days in July 1994 and a possible in August 1995.

The only records further north in the Bay that I know are in the Altona Region (Black-browed marked as vagrant in BoPP), the same species found dead at Black Rock in September 1952 (possibly the first Victorian specimen) and another seen off Brighton Beach in April 1959.

Mike Carter suggested to me that the BoPP records reflected substantial storms in the late 1970s.

I also seem to remember that the sub-Antarctic convergence has moved south, causing a reduction in albatross numbers in Victorian waters.

Michael Norris