birding-aus

Request: bird info and field assistance

Subject: Request: bird info and field assistance
From: J B <>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 15:46:13 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All.

I apologize for repeating a former request but lack of
transparency in the original message may have
discouraged responses so I am trying again. I am a PhD
student at the University of Maryland and am
interested in tracking down a few specific sites
(particularly between Grafton and Brisbane) where I
can find the following species in relatively high
abundance:

AUSTRALIAN REED WARBLER (Acrocephalus australis),
CHESTNUT-BREASTED FINCH (Lonchura castaneothorax),
RED-BROWED FIRETAIL (Neochmia temporalis), or
SILVEREYE (Zosterops lateralis)

>From what I have learned so far, the second species
may be the hardest to find.

I will be performing the work in June and July.
Specifically, I will be testing for parasites and
testing immune response. Not to worry, the appropriate
permits are in hand and all birds will be released
unharmed. If you have any suggestions, contact me
directly at  Thanks for any info
you might have. And, if you are free for large chunks
of time between June and August, please see the note
below regarding a volunteer field position.

Sincerely,

Jon Beadell

Genetics Program
Smithsonian Institution

VOLUNTEER FIELD ASSISTANT IN AUSTRALIA and FRENCH
POLYNESIA. I am seeking a motivated and flexible
individual to assist me from 27 May to 17 Jul 2005 in
QLD/NSW, Australia and from 17 Jul to 31 Aug in French
Polynesia. The prospective volunteer could participate
in either or both portions of this project, which will
examine the evolution of the avian immune system in
different disease regimes. The target species are
fairly mobile during the Austral winter, and
therefore, we will travel by campervan in northern New
South Wales and southern Queensland as necessary. The
quality of field conditions (parks, farm fields,
backyards) may vary. In French Polynesia, we will work
on the islands of Moorea and Rimitara. Specific tasks
may include removing birds from mist-nets, taking
morphological measurements, sampling blood, preparing
blood smears, and caring for caged birds during assays
of immunity. Mist-netting experience would be
valuable, blood-sampling skills or bird husbandry
experience would be useful, and any other talents are
a bonus. The prospective applicant must pay for
his/her own travel to Brisbane, Australia (1st half of
project) and/or French Polynesia (2nd half). I will
provide lodging and travel costs within both
countries. If you are interested and would like more
information, please send any queries, a resume and
contact info for two references to JON BEADELL (EM:
 as soon as possible.