birding-aus

Fuel Reduction Burning

To: "'Syd Curtis'" <>, <>
Subject: Fuel Reduction Burning
From: "Giles Mulholland" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:54:54 +0200
Hi all from here in South Africa

I have been reading this thread with interest, since I have a farm in Mpumalanga (what used to be called the eastern Transvaal) here in South Africa.

We have to burn our grasslands regularly, for two reasons.  I am almost surrounded by commercial plantations (Blue Gum on one side, conifers on another two).  To minimise the build-up of fuel, the local foresters burn half of the grassland each year (alternating the areas) - with my permission and co-operation of course!.  This obviously saves me a lot of effort, but personally it would be better for me to burn every third year as this seems to be optimal for the grass species I have and especially the several thousand protea trees in the grassland.

If we don't burn regularly, the grassland vanishes within about 10 years, over-run by (indigenous) trees and bushy shrubs.  Here, fire plays a key role in maintaining the "natural ecosystems" - without it, what were (for the last few centuries anyway) extensive grasslands are in many areas becoming dense bush, and our grassland species (including birds) are becoming very restricted.

Doesn't fire also play a key role on maintaining ecosystems in Australia?

Giles
Giles Mulholland
Phone: +27 (13) 733-3177
Fax: +27 (13) 733-3177
Cell: +27 (83) 411-2424
Postal: P.O. Box 162 Schagen, 1207, South Africa
E-mail: