birding-aus

Re: landclearing - and the future of birds in nsw

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: landclearing - and the future of birds in nsw
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:59:18 +1100
Thank you, David, for expressing well a concern I am sure many of us have.  On this forum, it is probably true to say that we are all concerned about land clearing, pesticide use, shooting, 4WD overuse, feral animals, National Park preservation, etc, etc.  But far too often well meaning people will just pick up on an opinion expressed on a forum like this and race off with petitions, letters to Ministers or into the media, without doing what David urges - explore and investigate the issue - from all sides - first.

Many, many times, the pleas of "conservationists" are ignored or, even worse, ridiculed because the arguments and facts are not well understood and are not well represented by these (well meaning) folk.  Unfortunately, the whole cause of moderation and common sense in conservation is then damaged and given less credibility, through the media and politicians, into the eyes of "the man in the street", i.e. the people who really need to be convinced.

I rarely follow up on the requests on this forum to send letters, etc., as I do not have all the facts.  If it really concerns me I will learn more and then act if I believe there needs to be action.

Please, explore and think first - act later!

Bob Cook
Mildura
Victoria