birding-aus

Re: unusual wader in Cairns I reckon it's a Ruff

To: <>
Subject: Re: unusual wader in Cairns I reckon it's a Ruff
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:58:14 -0700
Hi Mat,

Thankyou for sending me your pictures of  this unusual wader. I was away at
the weekend and am off again to Ashmore Reef on Friday so this will be
quick.

The only feature which might suggest Stilt Sandpiper is the bill. With the
exception of the exceedingly gross bill, long and heavy for the species but
the normal shape, I'd call it a Ruff. Apart from the bill it has the
proportions of a Ruff, the right leg colour (yellow) and what plumage is
visible totally supports that ID. After further reflection subsequent to a
conversation with Rohan Clarke this a.m., I've firmed my opinion in that
direction. A somewhat aberrant bird.

Was that your considered verdict?

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road