birding-aus

Terrick Terrick NP, Northern Victoria

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Terrick Terrick NP, Northern Victoria
From: "Gil Langfield" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:21:09 +1000
I have just spent a couple of days in this National Park which is roughly
north of Bendigo and west of Echuca.  I used the hotel in Mitiamo as a base
which was an experience.  The food and company there are good but they are
just getting around to renovating the rooms which have not seen any work
since about 1920.  It was however very cheap at a total of $125 for 3
nights' accommodation and evening meals, a bottle of red wine, some beer and
nuts.  Mitiamo is very close to the southern section of the park which seems
to be the most interesting.

I used the visitor guide to the park from Parks Victoria, the guide to
birdwatching from the BOCA Echuca website (they have an outing to the NP
next Sunday 24 October) and a June 2003 posting to Birding Aus by Martin
O'Brien.  The Parks Victoria guide map is rather inaccurate with regard to
the status of open and locked gates and open tracks.  In particular, the new
north-east grassy portion of the park was totally locked when I was there.

I had seen one Gilbert's Whistler in the park in early November 1993, but
not in 1996.  On this visit, they were vocal and accommodating and I saw
small numbers at 4 locations in the park, most locations being in accordance
with the BOCA Echuca recommendation that is around the bases of rocky
outcrops, although I heard one calling on the flat, well away from the
outcrops.  Most sightings were of females although I did see two males.

Other interesting sightings were Diamond Firetail, Hooded and Red-capped
Robin.  At Riegal's Rock, I had a glimpse of two male Black Honeyeaters as
well as good views of Black Kite and Little Eagle.  The commonest bird in
the Park seemed to be White-winged Chough.

Please E-mail me if you would like further information.