birding-aus

Sparrows

To: "Reg Clark" <>, "Birding=aus" <>
Subject: Sparrows
From: "Gosper Carl" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:47:24 +1000
Hi all,

Yes, it can be hard to find House Sparrows in some big cities these days. I've
lived in Brisbane for about a year now, and very rarely see them (most
regularly on the partly underground central railway station platforms). Where I
lived beforehand, in the small town of Geurie in central west NSW (near Dubbo),
sparrows were quite common on my very unkept lawn (and along with the
blackbirds and starlings gave it a very European feel!). I recall that the
topic of sparrow decline overseas has been a thread on birding-aus before, so
it might be worth checking the archives for more info.

I have heard a wide variety of theories suggested to explain declines of
sparrows here and in Britain, but I'm not sure of their scientific basis (if
any). They range from something in unleaded petrol, other birds (such as Noisy
Miners) to people generally keeping lawns and gardens tidier these days.

My most recent sighting of House Sparrows was quite unexpected - last week I
saw a group of ~10 birds in the campground of Lady Musgrave Island (in the
southern Great Barrier reef a couple of hours off Bundaberg). Very odd seeing
them among the thousands of nesting seabirds. Actually, I think they were one
of only 2 passerines present (the other being Silvereye).

Cheers
Carl Gosper