birding-aus

Have I just been lucky until now?

Subject: Have I just been lucky until now?
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:55:41 +1000
As far as my experience goes, Noisy Miners will dive with that
characteristic beak clack but never actually hit.  I get dived by them
all the time in breeding season.

Same mostly goes for Lapwings, although I did have a friend who got
hit when he tried to jump out of the way - the poor bird was already
turning to avoid him.

Magpies on the other had sometimes seem to deliberately hit people.  I
got dived last year and hit squarely in the back of the head - almost
knocked me out.

Regards,
Chris - Brisbane, QLD