birding-aus

Have I just been lucky until now?

To: <>
Subject: Have I just been lucky until now?
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 22:21:04 +1000
Hawthorne park in eastern Brisbane.  Strip of trees at the back of the
Morningside AFL Clubhouse.  Just walking past one of the poles with
floodlights, and there's a crackle as of an electric discharge.

I looked at the pole.  No reason for sparking that I could see.  Dry wooden
pole.  I walk on.  Again that crackle and it sounded just behind me.  Third
time, and I found the cause: an attacking Noisy Miner!  Not actually hitting
me, but rapid beak snapping just behind my head.  Couldn't see a nest but
didn't look very long.

Continued my exercise walk around the park and back to the same spot to see
if the bird would attack again.  It did.  Or they did.  There were two of
them, and of course they would not attack while I was looking at them, so I
could not see if both were doing it or only one.

I've known Micky-birds for 70+ years, but have never been attacked by one
before.  Have I just been lucky until now?

[There's a Council notice on a tree warning of Magpie attacks.  Didn't see
any magpies.  Maybe it was their day off and the Noisy Miners were standing
in for them :-). ]

Syd