birding-aus

Yellow Wagtail in OZ

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Yellow Wagtail in OZ
From: "John Penhallurick" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:08:51 +1000
Hi all,
If any of you think you have Yellow Wagtail on your OZ list, you should be interested to learn that you don't.  It doesn't occur here.
Pavlova et al.(2003),"Phylogeographic Patterns in Motacilla flava and Motacilla citreola:Species Limits and Population History",
Auk 120,no.3,pp.744-758 show that both M. flava Yellow Wagtail and M. citerola Citrine Wagtail are paraphyletic.
M.flava is split into 3 species: M flava, M.tschutschenis Eastern Yellow Wagtail and M.taivana Green-headed Wagtail.
This split has been accepted by the American Ornithologists' Union.
In Australia, we get mainly taivana, with smaller number of tschutschensis (into which simillima has been lumped).
M.citreola needs to be split into at least 2 species: M.citreola and M.werae Steppe Citrine Wagtail.
I'll have the detailed distribution of all of these taxa on my web site the next time I do an upload.
John
John Penhallurick
Home: 86 Bingley Cres,FRASER,A.C.T. 2615,AUSTRALIA
Phone: (61 2) 62585428
Mobile: 0408 585 428
Mail:P.O.Box 3469,BMDC,BELCONNEN, A.C.T. 2617
Please visit my website at:
http://worldbirdinfo.net