birding-aus

Little Eagles nesting

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Little Eagles nesting
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 18:17:10 +1000
Hi Bird Lovers

Whilst on Lady Carrington Drive today, I came across a pair of very attractive light morph Little Eagles building a nest in a treetop by the river. I think that this may be the first nesting record for the Park but this species has been sighted elsewhere in the park on a couple of occasions in the past.

If anybody out there has a special conservation related interest in viewing this bird and the nesting activity, I am happy to reveal the precise location. However, until the young are hatched and becoming advanced, I wouldn't feel comfortable revealing it to all and sundry.

Other interesting observations were: the return of the Topknot Pigeons (now you can say "It's spring" folks!), advanced moulting in a great many male Superb Lyrebirds, and several Satin Bowerbirds back from their flocking activities and into bower construction and decoration.

Excellent abundance today with all of the regular species for that area. One point of interest however, is the recent lack of Azure Kingfishers on the Hacking River. I saw one at Bonnie Vale last week but only one sighting in three weeks on the Hacking. I know that there is a migratory tendency with this species, but it seems as if all have abandoned the Hacking at the moment.

Regards - Ricki