birding-aus

Permits for photography in Australian National Parks?

To: <>
Subject: Permits for photography in Australian National Parks?
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 10:59:03 +1000
Hi all wildlife photographers,

Is this a case of: "Be aware but not alarmed"?

In the Q & A section of the August edition of 'Australian Photography' magazine
there is a letter
from a correspondent discussing the growing requirement throughout Australia to
obtain permits for
at least some forms of photography in what has traditionally been seen as
'public space'.
One example given was of a camera club outing to Darling Harbour (Sydney, I
presume).
The claim was that a permit to photograph was required because the club members
would be using
tripods and are therefore classified as 'professional photographers'.
(Note: I have no way of knowing if this was the true reason for the requirement
for the permit but
it does seem odd that a permit was required for a club outing.)

The example of more interest to photographers on this forum was the claim that
photographers using
tripods in (Australian) National Parks (New South Wales only?) would also be
deemed to be
'professional photographers' and would therefore be required to have a permit
for their photographic
activities in the said park/s.
The penalties for not having the required permits were said be considerable.

My limited investigations seem to show that permits to photograph in National
Parks in New South
Wales, at least, may be required under certain conditions.
Permits do not seem to be required in my home state of Queensland.

To back up the claims made by the letter writer I found these comments on the
Internet:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles1003/nr1003-1.html

http://www.deh.gov.au/media/dept-mr/dp11aug03.html

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/Content/Film-making+and+photography+licences

I don't want to convey the impression that am trying to spread alarm but I do
find this topic
interesting as I am quite keen on bird-photography and National Parks are an
obvious location for
that pursuit.

It would be a little (to say the least) embarrassing and annoying to be
innocently pursuing my very
amateur photographic hobby in what I feel is a public place to suddenly find
myself confronted by a
NP officer (only doing what they are required to do) demanding evidence of my
permit or,
alternatively, confiscating my equipment!

Questions:
1/ Does anyone on this forum know the facts about these permits?

2/ Has anyone had any experiences connected with these permits?

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Woody Point
Queensland