birding-aus

From a newish member!

To: The Bugtusslebunch <>
Subject: From a newish member!
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 03:43:24 +1000
Hi Nina

Thanks for your detailed observations.  I hope someone with more
knowledge of Crested Pigeons can respond to your interesting question - I can't find an answer in any of the books I own ( I don't have HANZAB, which would almost certainly answer the q). HINT: Someone else on
b-aus might like to look this up in HANZAB!!

I'm reading a fascinating book at the moment (Secret Life of Wombats,
by James Woodford - no relation :-) ) and in it he describes how a boy at Timbertop in 1960 started observing wombats. He spent his whole Timbertop year diving down burrows, and more importantly, observing the minute details of wombat lives. He wrote up his observations and won a minor science prize, but more importantly, contributed much to the body of scientific knowledge. The wombat had been largely ignored until Peter Nicholson's observations in 1960, and his work is still regarded very highly.

The point is - there are huge gaps in what we know about Australian
animals and birds, and many of those gaps have been, and will be filled in part by observers with enquiring minds, keen observation skills, and patience.

Crested Pigs are a favourite of mine, partly because they have recently expanded into my home area. They now breed here on the Geelong
Grammar, Corio campus.

Keep up the great work Nina!

Russell Woodford

Birding-Aus List 'Incubator'