birding-aus

Re: Otway NP Sightings, Sth Vic.

Subject: Re: Otway NP Sightings, Sth Vic.
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:19:28 +1000

Hi All,

I went Ground Parrot searching at Cape Otway over the weekend.  Unfortunately we didn't hear or see any.

Some interesting sightings though from various parts of the otway ranges and surrounds:

Beautiful Firetail:  2 at Aire River Heads, 1 at Blanket Bay
White Bellied Sea Eagle(full adult): 1 At Aire River Heads returning at Dusk, 1 at Blanket Bay cruising the coast at Dawn  - possibly the same bird.
Olive Whistler:  Mt Sabine Rd
Pink Robin: 2 Brown Birds (slighty pink) - Mt Sabine Rd.
Grey Goshawk(Female - White Morph): On roadside just out of Gellibrand Township.
Wedge tailed eagle -  Chapple creek

There were small isolated groups of Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo's all along the coast line.  We saw groups of 2, 4, 6 and 8 in many parts of the otway national park. Also plenty of Gang Gangs and Blue winged Parrots around.

Peter