birding-aus

Owlet Nightjars

Subject: Owlet Nightjars
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:02:49 +1100
Just got back from holidays and looking through the archives saw the thread about AONJ. This is a species that is a lot commoner than people think because you mainly hear them rather than see them. As Lawrie Conole said it is the minority of nights spent spotlighting that you don't hear them flying about. They apparently respond very well to playback (I vaguely recall someone a few years ago talking about three or four calling very close in Royal NP). I have seen a number over the years both during the day and while driving at night (they do tend to sit on the road). One at Charcoal Tank NR (West Wyalong - central NSW) used to call regularly at around 10 AM every day, and was often seen sitting at the entrance of the same hollow sun baking. One I saw last year was flying in the day looking for a hollow after assumingly being disturbed during the day - took me a few seconds to work out what it was. As a final note, they are one the most amazing birds to band - they are tiny and are covered in the softest feathers.
Cheers,
Peter

P.S. a trip report on Vanuatu will follow soon.