birding-aus

Grey Butcherbirds in Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbirds in Sydney
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:21:24 +1100
Hi Birdsers,

Cas mentions the Grey Butcherbirds in the inner Sydney suburb of Dulwhich Hill (24/3/04), and suggested that they had increased there since the 1970s.

While Grey Butcherbirds are recorded in the inner suburbs these days like Dulwhich Hill, Ashfield, Crodyon etc, when I was a boy at Summer Hill 1942-1970, I never saw a Grey Butcherbird. Mind you in those days there were few trees and little open space. Things changed with the appointment of the Whitlam Government in 1972 which brought in a "Living Cities" programme and gave funds to local government for inner urban areas to provide and create more open space. Native Trees were planted in these newly formed parks and gardens, the landscape changed and became more native bird friendly and this trend has continued. Crested Pigeons, Pied Currawongs, Koels, Channel-billed Cuckoos, Grey Butcherbirds, Noisy Miners, Red Wattlebirds, Spinebills and Superb Fairy-wrens & Silvereyes all moved in! When i go back to my old stamping ground I see more native birds now than I ever did before.
So,me things do change for the better.
Alan Morris