birding-aus

nomenclature/taxonomy question

To: Gary Davidson <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: nomenclature/taxonomy question
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:32:02 +1100
Gary,

The way I understand it, the second word is capitalised if there is an
actual relationship with that group, e.g. Bronze-Cuckoos are in fact
cuckoos, Paradise-Kingfishers are kingfishers, etc. On the other hand,
Fairy-wrens are not actually wrens, Quail-thrush are not thrush, neither
are Shrike-thrush (and nor are these quail or shrikes, either. Or for that
matter, fairies!).

Cuckoo-Shrike and Magpie-Lark are both erroneous - by these rules the
second word should not be capitalised.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Carol