birding-aus

Scarborough Park - Sydney

To: "Dickson" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Scarborough Park - Sydney
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:35:21 +1100
Hi Tim

Successive State Governments have been holding a gun to the head of this significant reserve for many years now. The "Freeway" would greatly reduce the foraging area of a number of species and bring added noise, pollution and disturbance to the remainder of the area. I have heard a few fools speak in favour of putting this Freeway through and possibly many residents of massively overdeveloped/overpopulated parts of the Sutherland Shire would welcome it to ease their travelling burden. However, I believe that construction of this project would raise such an outcry from local groups that it just wouldn't be on. Mind you, our State government has recently sold out the state's river systems, is permitting all manner of tragic developments right along the coast and is even considering unleashing the 20th Century Cane Toad upon us in the shape of Genetically Modified Crops, so who knows what other blind follies they're ultimately capable of? At times I really fear for the future of the biodiversity of this once magnificent country.

Regards - Ricki