birding-aus

Scarborough Park - Sydney

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Scarborough Park - Sydney
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:13:44 +1100
G'day All

Some of you may be aware that I live on the shores of Botany Bay in Sydney.  We're a typical bayside type suburb for any big city with the exception that many of our streets are divided by traffic islands which are wider than either lanes of the roads which they divide. They are well planted with native local trees and these make handy homes for the honeyeater, parrot and cockatoo populations in the area. One block down the road from me is an extensive series of ovals and playing fields with a creek which runs from the Cook River into Botany Bay. The whole deal stretches for a couple of kilometers through suburbia. The 1500 metre long strip which has ovals also has an artificially cultivated riparian zone (casurina/banksia/acacia/eucalypts) by the creek - all local natives. In the midst of it all is an area of native bushland covering around 2 or 3 hectares. This remains from since before the arrival of whites to this country.

I like an afternoon run and have run through this area for the last 15 years. During this time, I've noted a number of species but have always thought that the remnant bushland would not hold much of any note. I study Ornithology at CSU and a recent assignment led me to examining a particular species which resides in the area in some detail. Whilst there, I began to notice calls I had never heard when running and then sights that amazed me. What follows is my list of species I have noticed with my cursory glances over the years. The birds marked with an asterisk were spotted within a half hour stroll by the creek on Saturday (not a bad tick list for 1/2 an hour, I should add). Many come as no surprise but I would never imagine that species like Dollarbirds and Olive-backed Orioles would be visiting. I can't believe that some of these marooned species would be hanging on in such a place and how dispersal takes place - for White-browed Scrub Wrens there surely cannot be any - and what to speak of Gene Flow! and the likelyhood of sub-speciation ultimately taking place. My mind is really boggling here. Of course there are many islands of wildlife now in Australia and this is a huge problem in terms of viability of a number of species. Still, our little island seems to stack up pretty well and I'm sure I'll be finding a lot more there in the near future.

Australian Wood Duck
Pacific Black Duck*
Darter
Little Pied Cormorant*
Little Black Cormorant
Australian Pelican
Great Egret
White Faced Heron
Nankeen Night Heron*
Royal Spoonbill
Australian White Ibis
Black-shouldered Kite
Dusky Moorhen*
Eurasian Coot
Masked Lapwing
Silver Gull*
Crested Pigeon*
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo*
Little Corella*
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo*
Rainbow Lorikeet*
Australian King Parrot
Crimson Rosella*
Eastern Rosella
Red-rumped Parrot*
Common Koel
Channel-billed Cuckoo
Sacred Kingfisher*
Laughing Kookaburra*
Dollarbird*
Superb Fairy-Wren*
Spotted Pardalote*
White-browed Scrubwren
Yellow Thornbill*
Red Wattlebird*
Little Wattlebird*
Noisy Miner*
White-plumed Honeyeater
New Holland Honeyeater*
Willie Wagtail*
Magpie-Lark*
Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike*
Olive-backed Oriole*
Grey Butcherbird*
Australian Magpie*
Pied Currawong*
Australian Raven*
Welcome Swallow*
Fairy Martin*
Clamorous Reed-Warbler
Silvereye*
Common (Indian) Myna*
Common Starling*
Red-whiskered Bulbul*
Nutmeg Mannikin
House Sparrow
Feral (Rock Dove) Pigeon*

If you live in the area, do have any other species for that site? The council had a survey carried out some time ago and I've yet to have an opportunity to examine it in detail. However, some Council Officers seemed unimpressed with the survey results, leaving me to conclude that maybe not much was found.

Regards - Ricki