birding-aus

What's in a term?

To: "Tom Tarrant" <>, <>
Subject: What's in a term?
From: "Myles H-C" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:29:18 +1000
Tom, and  all!

In Tom Tarrent's recent message re "Common Koel - What's in a name" he referred to the terms "Tickers" and "Lumped". Over recent weeks I have seen other terms used but sometimes was unsure of the precise meaning. All this made me think "What's in a term"?

As I am relatively new to "Birding" and this fascinating and educational mailing list, I have only a rough idea of some "in-house" terms used by birders (is this a correct term to use in this context?).

If anyone knows where I can find a birder's dictionary or thesaurus, that either seriously or humorously describes the most common terms (eg Jizz and Life List which I do know) and/or polite slang used within the ornithological world, I would really be very grateful.

Kind regards,

Myles

PS just for Christmas!
Did you hear about the duck who bought some lipstick?
No?
He asked to have it put on the bill!