birding-aus

Summer in the Arid interior.

To: <>
Subject: Summer in the Arid interior.
From: "Mrs Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:16:43 +1000
While summer out here is far from pleasant it does have some compensations, particularly if you enjoy looking at birds.
About 2 weeks ago we had a week of 40C and over and the River Red Gums were full of Redwing Parrots, lots of young birds and they were making the sound that they make when they want a meal from the parent. Ian and I estimate there would have been close to 200 here, in the trees and on the ground near the puddles made by sprinklers. They've dispersed a bit now, but I've just come over from the cottage and it is full of Double-barred Finches, Chestnut-rumped Thornbills and Variegated Fairy-wrens.
Here at the homestead we have a Red-backed Kingfisher , they arrive every year about the end of November and we have splendid views of it as it sits on the fence. So many Spotted Bowerbirds in the garden with heaps of young ones who seem to feel the heat more than the older birds, maybe they haven't learnt to be afraid. The Chestnut-crowned Babblers are also in the yard and seem to have a great time playing around the base of the Gum trees. These Eucalypts are laden with blossom, in fact, they appear to be more cream than grey-green. There are literally festoons of blossom hanging down from them and they've been full of Brown Honeyeaters.
Ian was out in the stony mulga section of the property yesterday and saw a Grey Falcon and 2 Square-tailed Kites.
Still waiting for some decent rain.
Cheers.
Julie McLaren