birding-aus

Ruffey Lake twitch - the latest!!

Subject: Ruffey Lake twitch - the latest!!
From: "John Harris" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:44:36 +1100
Dear All
Ruffey Lake never ceases to turn up something new.  Just when I thought that all that may turn up before the end of the year, was the odd summer migrant, all HEAVEN breaks loose.

I had had reports of Tawny Frogmouths from near there, but they weren't on my list yet. A student of mine, who lives near the Lake, came in excited last week saying he had seen 2.  This inspired me to do an early morning count (6.30am - 7.30), last Thursday and the results were: 33 species including Mistletoebird (new for the year), Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Tawny Frogmouth and Black-tailed Native-hen (all new for the lake).

I was not surprised by the cuckoo or frogmouth, but I had to look twice at the "Superchook" before it sunk in.  Needless to say I now have photos of it too.

Regards

John Harris
Year 9 & Environmental Coordinator
Donvale Christian College