birding-aus

Pictures in Birding-Aus Emails

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Pictures in Birding-Aus Emails
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:14:26 +1000
I'll be interested to hear members' comments on this one - thanks for
bringing it up, Michael.

A couple of points to note:

The process Michael described still sends the picture as an attachment, albeit transparently. If you use Outlook, Eudora, Entourage, etc, it
really does look as though the picture is 'pasted' into the mail
message.  But the images are still transmitted as attachments, as the
mail 'protocol' (system) can only handle textlike characters.
Attachments are simply encoded on the way out, and decoded when they
arrive at the other end. Try Control-clicking one of these images and you'll be asked where you want to save the "Attachment"!

The main reason for banning attachments is to keep the message size low so that there is less of a burden on individual users' accounts - you've all seen the trash we occasionally get, but believe me, there's plenty you don't see. Having a maximum size of around 20Kb means that most spam is blocked, as are nearly all worm viruses. The last few
worms doing the rounds were all around 40-50 Kb in size, so they just
could not transmit via the list.  Luckily.  If we'd allowed 70Kb
messages then it's likely some of these would have gone out to every
subscriber.  Are any of you NOT using antivirus protection, by the
way???

Yes, it would be nice to get stunning bird pictures in our email - now I recall getting some spam recently with almost exactly that wording
......  Hmmm I think we'll leave things as they are for now - but
please let's hear your comments (to me privately, unless you have
something new to add).

Cheers

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

http://www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/
Geelong   Victoria   Australia
38º 04' 09" S    144º 23' 53" E

This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not
the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email. If received in error, please notify us immediately and
delete the email and all copies. The College does not guarantee that
this email is virus or error free. The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or
not. The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those
of the College.