birding-aus

Images in Emails

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Images in Emails
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:37:47 +1000
Hi - thanks for the 20 or so people who responded.   A few tried to
send photos with their responses and as far as I'm aware these didn't
get through!

So far nearly all the votes have been to keep things as they are - no
attachments, and a small message size:

 - helps trap worms & viruses
- many people do still use a slow connection and it's AWFUL to have to sit and wait for several minutes to see an image - especially if it has been re-forwarded or appended from earlier messages. Worse still if it's spam or something more unpleasant. WORST of all if you are paying for a timed phone connection as well!
- too difficult to filter content
- nobody has mentioned Andrew Taylor's fabulous archive at the UNSW.
Many many people search this without ever getting onto the mailing
list, and it provides an invaluable source of info for those who miss
messages, go away for a while, or who want to look up some older info. Adding images to this archive would - I imagine - be pointless and
maybe disastrous.
- we already have Ozbirdpix for sharing Australian bird images.  Why
replicate that?

So we'll be maintaining the status quo - no attachments, please, and no inline images. Messages should be under 20Kb in size and should not
include both plain text and HTML.  Plain text is preferred

Thanks

Russell

PS Yes, I will obey the rules too - no more footy tipping scores or
twitchathon pics as attachments - I'll do the right thing and put that sort of stuff online and just post a link.

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

http://www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/
Geelong   Victoria   Australia
38º 04' 09" S    144º 23' 53" E

This email and any attachments may be confidential and if you are not
the intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the information in this email. If received in error, please notify us immediately and
delete the email and all copies. The College does not guarantee that
this email is virus or error free. The attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or
not. The content and opinions in this email are not necessarily those
of the College.

almost exactly that wording
......  Hmmm I think we'll leave things as they are for now - but
please let's hear your comments (to me privately, unless you have
something new to add).

Cheers

Russell