birding-aus

Songlarks

Subject: Songlarks
From: simon starr <>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:57:03 +1000
Was a pleasure to hear a Rufous Songlark today on the plains near Pyramid Hill,N.Vic. Last year I managed to see none in my local district(they were very thin on the ground)Hopefully they will arrive in better numbers this year.
As for the Brown Songlarks they also were scarce last year and despite good conditions here now they're numbers  still seem very low.They are normally very obvious and common by September here. Horsfields Bronze Cuckoos also seem to be in reduced numbers.
Other migrants so far have been a Little Friarbird resting in my garden on the 26th Aug,an Olive-backed Oriole through on 17th Aug,Glossy Ibis at Hird's swamp from 20th Aug,and some Sharp-tailed Sandpipers there on 7th Sept.
Cheers,Simon Starr.