birding-aus

OBP still at Maroubra

Subject: OBP still at Maroubra
From: Frank Hemmings <>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 17:21:39 +1000
I was walking through the heathland south of Maroubra beach where the Orange Bellied Parrot had been seen before, and where I had made a number of unsuccessful attempts to locate it, and was fairly dumbstruck to see it sitting in some dead branches of tea tree (Leptospermum laevigatum) at around 2:50pm.  Unfortunately I did not have my binoculars, but then the bird was obligingly only about 5m away, so could get some fairly good views of it.  Also unfortunately it was backlit, but I managed to manouevre around the shrubs to get slightly better side lighting. I observed it for about 15min as it sat in the branches, and occasionally moved through to some other perches in the shrub, but after that it flew down to ground level and I temporarily lost it.

I was later joined by David Hair at around 3:30 and we flushed it twice, getting only passing views in flight both times, but couldn't relocate it after that and we both had to return to work. It was silent whilst perched in the tea tree, but did give the buzzing trill call when it flew.  Binoculars would have helped a lot, but I am certain it was the same bird seen previously at that location, and looked like an OBP to me (even given it was my first observation of one). Just thought some of you might like to know.  Cheers.
Frank

Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Environmental and Earth Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274