birding-aus

WA Trip Part 13

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: WA Trip Part 13
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:37:12 +1000

DAY 12

We awake to yet another very windy day. A Pheasant Coucal is calling near by and a Diamond Dove is sighted in a dead tree near camp. No sign of water around but presumably not too far away. This morning we manage to get good views of a more obliging Spinfexbird, this bird being a more greyish-brown in colour. Two others are seen as well.

We travel through some excellent habitat of Desert Walnuts, Ironwoods, Grevillea Refracta, Acacia Tumida, Grevillea Wickhamii, Grevillea Erystacha, Grev Minisoides, and Grev Pyramdalis. (No doubt heaps of spelling mistakes in that lot!)  Unfortunately the wind is so strong it ids just not worth stopping. Another two Red Kangaroos are seen.

At 11.15 A.M. we hit the Great Northern Highway with mixed emotions. It is with relief and a great deal of satisfaction that we have had a successful incident free trip, but sadness that it was all coming to an end. We thought about refuelling and heading back the other way, but something to do with family and commitments meant heading home. A sign of modern society reminded us only too well in the presence of a dead Barn Owl beside the highway where we came out. About 45 kms up the road we refuelled at Sandfire Roadhouse in amongst caravans and tourist buses etc. and we couldn?t wait to get out and have lunch somewhere peaceful and quiet.

We headed to Eighty Mile Beach where we lunched on the beach. Unfortunately the tide was low and many of the waders were in the distance but managed to see a few species we hadn?t seen for a couple of weeks. A couple of immature Black-breasted Buzzards were seen just inland from the beach. On our way back to Broome we stopped and watched A Spotted Harrier and two Hobbies trying to catch a Singing Bushlark. Also whilst travelling a Western Brown Snake crossed the road and more Red Kangaroos and Agile Wallabies were seen. Arrived back in Broome at 5.30 P.M. 47 species for the day.

Black-breasted Buzzard

Black Kite

Whistling Kite

White-bellied Sea-Eagle