birding-aus

Southport 16th August Pelagic.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Southport 16th August Pelagic.
From: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:15:39 +1000
Hi Birding-aussers, it didn't happen - again!! That's the 3rd time in a row, I'm losing my swagger and starting to feel decidedly landsick! Winter's come and gone and the next trip is on saturday 13th September from the usual venue at Southport, Queensland. It'll be back to looking at Tahitis again.

Winter, seabird wise, apparently didn't eventuate up here anyway with a Giant Petrel the only beachwashed bird of note (no prions). The water temp. in close is still around 20C when it would normally have gotten down to 16-17C so out wide in the current it is probably up around the 23C mark. Tahiti Petrels have been sighted off Southport in every month except July, they were still present in May leading to the real possibility this year of sighting them in every month in the one calender year. If we had got out that is!

It's been the same on land up here also.Where I work at the Prince Charles Hospital, Welcome Swallows bred right through and already last week I've had 4 different reports of Channel-billed Cuckoos in Brisbane alone. That is a month earlier than I would normally expect.

There are still several spots available for the Sept. 13th pelagic, for those interested. Contact Paul Walbridge;
Ph: (H) 61 7 3391 8839  (W) 61 7 3350 8258
E-mail:
Cheers - Paul.