birding-aus

Fan-tailed cuckoo in Maribyrnong

To: <>
Subject: Fan-tailed cuckoo in Maribyrnong
From: Jim Caine <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:17:54 +1000
Gedday all,

Yesterday, Sunday 27/7/2003, I was able to observe a Fan-tailed cuckoo, calling
persistently from a wattle tree adjacent to the Maribyrnong River about 1 km
south of the Canning St Bridge in Maribyrnong (Melbourne). I had heard it the
previous weekend but couldn't locate it. This is the first cuckoo I've recorded
in this section of the river since I began regular visits in January this year.
Perhaps a sign spring is on the way ??

Birdwatchers in the Western suburbs of Melbourne might be interested in
checking out this area. I've only found it since moving into Maribyrnong in
December last year. Canning St is the extension of Maribyrnong Rd before it
becomes Military Rd in Avondale heights and then Milleara Rd  furthrer on. See
Melway maps 27+28: Canning Reserve Map 27 G8.

If any one is interested... I usually start from the Canning St Bridge and do a
long loop southwards (upstream) crossing the river at the footbribge and
crossing back about 2 kms further up at a rock ford and then returning
downstrean on the opposite side. If I have time I also go north(downstream)
from the Canning St bridge towards the tea gardens and beyond. The riverside
tracks continue in both directions if you have the time. Last time I did this
(with Alan Flack) we recorded 44 species in 3 hours. Not bad going for an
essentially suburban area.  I'm hoping to add to my total of 67 species as
spring and summer come to pass. I am particularly curious about what I might
find in the many reed beds along the banks ? Any suggestions ?

The habitat varies from reed beds, parkland, muddy banks at low tide, river red
gums, flood plain, wasteand industrial land, golf course, native plantings (10
years? and more recent) and grasses. Probably my best find so far is a roosting
tree for Night Herons.

regards
Jim Caine

Jim Caine