birding-aus

Fan-tailed cuckoo in Maribyrnong

To: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Subject: Fan-tailed cuckoo in Maribyrnong
From: Andy Burton <>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:15:44 +1000

Frank,

I checked my records since the start of the century on 1st Jan 2001.

They confirmed my feeling that Fan-tailed Cuckoos are heard in the Sydney area for most of the year but not commonly in the December to February period.

2001 heard / seen 13/3/01 to 22/11/01

2002              12/4/02 to 29/12/02

2003              15/4/03 to yesterday

The record on 29th Dec 2002 was an isolated one with the previous record being on the 30th Nov. Otherwise the species was present and commonly seen or heard between the dates shown.

These dates beg the question as to whether these birds leave Sydney for a short period or do they just shut-up outside their breeding season? Anyone have any answers?

Andy