birding-aus

Yellow Billed Silver Gull

To: Vin <>
Subject: Yellow Billed Silver Gull
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:44:04 +0800
At 23:35 21/07/2003 +1000, Vin wrote:
Anyway, on Saturday, I noticed what seemed to be an out
of place seagull at Tooradin, Victoria. It had yellow
legs and bill, and stood out from the 50 or so others
which were red or blackish. Couldnt find anything in the
books I had, so just wondering if this was an abberant
form or something else? Are these things common?

I have put up a page with this and a few other birds that I currently cant properly identify at http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~vhl/unidentified.html

The bill/legs look red when I checked the web page???

As Paul Taylor found (this shows that putting keywords on your web page helps!), I described a yellow legged/billed Silver Gull found at Lake Monger in Perth in January 1999.  Go to my website below, click on Articles, and then on the sixth article (May 1999).

I asked Birding-Aus at the time about Yellow-billed Gull, but I had to finally conclude that it was a Yellow-billed Gull.  I got one response from David James that Yellow-billed/legged Silver Gulls were quite common (as common as 1 in 3 juveniles in the right season).  This didn't quite ring true to me, but it is good to see that there are a few around.

Vin, by the way, if you haven't had any other replies, the final bird is a Red-capped Plover (note the dark mark on the shoulder).  The stint superficially looks like a Red-necked Stint, but I am surprised that there is no sign of breeding plumage on the neck, but some on the wings.  I would need to check my references for further details.  Hopefully someone else will get back to you.

Some advice for future photos that you put on your web site.
1. Include the date of the sighting.  The season can make a difference.
2. Give more details of the location (e.g. State/Country).  I don't know where Greenwich Bay or Newport is?  Rhode Island in the USA?

Frank O'Connor           Birding WA http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au