birding-aus

Grey Falcon at Alroy Downs NT

To: <>
Subject: Grey Falcon at Alroy Downs NT
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 07:23:20 +1000
Hi Birders,

I have two comments about the sighting of a Grey Falcon and a possibly a nest on a tower near Alroy Downs, NT as reported by Trevor Quested, on 25 June and then commented upon about the wisdom of mentioning the possibility of a nest site by Andrew on 22 July 2003.

On 18 May 2003 Robin Benson and I passed this tower near Alroy Downs and on this occasion there was no Grey Falcon but there was a Peregrine Falcon that flew from the tower and harassed a Kestrel, while  a Spotted Harrier was also seen close to the base of the tower. Peregrine's nest on a similar tower on the Central Coast adjacent to some coastal cliffs where presumably they used to nest but now prefer the tower.

I for one am not adverse to mentioning nesting sites of raptors where, as on a tower or a huge cliff face, they are not likely to be disturbed or harassed by humans. Vulnerable nest sites are another matter. The more people in a community that know that they have an uncommon or rare raptor ie Sea Eagle's or Peregrine's or Osprey's nest in their area the more support there is to protect the nesting site and give greater protection from those who want to take the eggs or plan a development nearby that might disturb or destroy the site.

Alan Morris