birding-aus

plastic bags and marine debris

Subject: plastic bags and marine debris
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 14:19:39 +1000
In defence of polyethylene bags, shops can afford to give them
> away because they are very cheap and this reflects the small amount
> of resources consumed in their production.  There lightness also....

I reckon there is a market out there for recycled paper bags. I'm
surprised that some bright spark somewhere hasn't come up with a strong,
reusable, possibly waxed, paper bag given the amount of recycling people
are willing to do and the amount of paper waiting to be processed. I
would have thought it was almost as cheap and certainly more appealing
that the scrappy plastic bags we are offered nowadays.
It is also great to see the number of uses milk cartons can be put to and
the benefit is turtles and fish etc don't find them attractive. I also
think it would be nice to see the fishing industry take the 'initiative'
and insist on bait being provided in a recycled/recyclable/biodegradable
container instead of the plastic bags currently surrounding the offering.
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......

--