birding-aus

Ginger Doesn't Work

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Ginger Doesn't Work
From: knightl <>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 19:05:40 +1000
I had the opportunity to try the teleconverter on my digital camera on the Southport pelagic today. Things were looking fairly good, with the fine weather and moderate sea.

It was also an opportunity to try out an alternative sea-sickness medication - given the quality control problems with the regular travacalm line which set off the great pan products recall a couple of weeks ago. I picked up a pack of the travacalm 'natural' or ginger-based medication last week, and in line with the packet directions, took two tablets before leaving and another two hours later.

Things were a bit quesy on the open water - to the point that I didn't immediately get involved with identification of an interesting shearwater that rocked up on its lonesome. I did however pull the camera out when Paul started calling for someone to get a shot.

Later on, and holding my stomach reasonably well, we saw a pale storm-petrel fluttering in the mid-ground - to me it looked like a flying fish - so not one of the regular stormies we get in SEQ.

Not long after that, we stopped to release 20 wedge-tailed shearwaters [that had been recuperating at the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary]. The changed motion of the boat set my stomach off, and thanks to a bit of foresight, I had a couple of mushroom bags to chunder into rather than hurling over the rail [and possibly striking someone on the lower deck].

With my stomach shot, nockerlocker viewing was pretty much out for the rest of the day [did a bit more residual retching into a bread wrapper later on] but was able to bare-eye ID a providence petrel, wilson's stormie and the inevitable tahiti petrel [which to the delight of the interstate birders turned up for the fifth consecutive month].

So, the bottom line, is that if you have a wave sensitive stomach as I do, and you are relying on a ginger based product to deal with your tendency towards sea-sickness, pack a few paper bags - you may need them.

Regards, Laurie.