birding-aus

Ginger Doesn't Work

To: "Colin R" <>
Subject: Ginger Doesn't Work
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:32:00 +1000

From my undertsanding, Ginger settles down an upset stomach and is good in the treatment of nausea. This is why it has been adapted to sea sickness pills. It probably shouldn't be used as a preventitive though, BEFORE your stomach is upset. Taking it before you experience nausea would probably be the cause of an upset stomach.

Do the manufacturers suggest taking them before the onset of nausea?

If so, i would think they are trying to get the consumation rates up.

Peter

P.s. This is not medical advice....i have no medical background.

"Colin R" <>
Sent by:

20/05/2003 04:07 PM

"knightl" <>
cc
Subject
Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Ginger Doesn't Work

Laurie et al
I have been on 4 pelagics in the last 12 months and many, many boat
trips, of varying degrees, scuba diving and fishing, over the years. I
have always relied on Kwells or something of similar nature. I don't
particularly LIKE taking them (I avoid taking any pills ect as much as
possible) but last year the first trip seemed so calm and I felt so good,
I thought I'd try ginger on the next one......
I took 2 ginger tablets, as recommended, before the start, but didn't
take any more - I survived - but only just.
The next trip I again took 2, then 1 every couple of hours and...... was
violently ill as soon as we headed for home. Last Saturday I decided to
take a Kwell - I figured if I'm paying $80 I want to get all I can out of
the trip and that doesn't include re-visiting my breakfast!!
I felt great! Never even felt queasy despite poor Laurie's condition.
My conclusions? Ginger may work for some people, or under some
conditions, (but then PW suggested that red wine works well too.....) For
me? It's got to be Kwells, sorry, no option, no choice, if I'm gonna
survive relatively intact I have to put up with a commercial product. I
would LOVE to be one of those people who just seem to outlast any sea
conditions - but I'm not and I have to accept that or suffer the
consequences!! I found that by drinking water (I normally don't drink
much water at all) it helped combat the usual side effects of Kwells (for
me at any rate) where I didn't go to the toilet till Wednesday!
I definitely won't be risking the misery again!

--
 Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......