birding-aus

Re: A wager

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: A wager
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:44:50 +1000
Sorry JAG, you are wrong.
You have a big lapse in logic in writing: "bird deaths caused by an unnatural event such as being snared by a longline or snared in a tree due to being trapped by a legband are NOT a NATURAL event and therefore will not appear in the databases of those that snare".

Your use of the word "therefore" is wrong, there is no connection between these statements. By my reading of the bander's manual (admittedly an old 1989 version) it is quite clear that all records should be kept that include any mortality arising from the activity or any other cause and that there are a set of codes to record this. There was even a code for "bird died before banding" a rather obscure case as in why would you then band it? It was presumably added so that all possibilities could be included. Therefore any such events should "appear in the databases of those that snare." I am referring to banders, not to longline fishing bycatch which clearly is a problem. (Also clearly that any actions likely to cause it should not be used). Anti banding writings on this line long ago got rather boring and have run their course and have rarely been convincing, compared to the value for conservation and research that such methods achieve.

p.s. I don't know what the subject line "a wager" is about.

Philip