birding-aus

Mitchell Park (Cattai NSW) Sat afternoon and evening (29th Mar 03)

To: <>
Subject: Mitchell Park (Cattai NSW) Sat afternoon and evening (29th Mar 03)
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:34:37 +1000
Went with Matt Hughes and his son Madison yesterday afternoon exploring Mitchell Park at Cattai by Canoe. We did not see any Black Bitterns but we did see 5 Azure Kingfishers (brilliant views), several Brown Cuckoo-doves, Wonga Pigeon, Restless Flycatcher, lots of Red-whiskered Bulbuls, Rufous Night Heron and on land heard a White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike and saw 2 male Rose Robins (one was brilliantly coloured). It has been a long time since I had been in a Canoe and this experience alone was worth it.

A spotlight for 2 hours (cut short due to lightning and rain) that evening (at Mitchell Park) yielded good views of 2 Sugar Gliders, a few Common Ringtails, Long-nosed Bandicoot (1-2 heard), Boobook Owl (1 heard), Owlet Nightjars (several heard at one spot and we tried hard to see one but failed), microbats and a beautiful Thick-tailed Gecko (my second observation of this species in the park). Did not hear any Yellow-bellied Gliders or see/hear Powerful Owls as on my previous few visits.

cheers!

Edwin