birding-aus

Bushfire refugees?

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bushfire refugees?
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:02:10 +1100
On 27 December I visited the Kalkari Track in Ku-ring-gai NP with my brother and some other visitors from the UK.  Amongst the usual suspects around the feeding tables (ie Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Crimson & Eastern Rosellas, Crested Pigeons, Wood and Black Duck) were 2 Wonga Pigeons - both a bit timid (as usual) but very keen on hoovering up the seed that had fallen on the ground.  Having seen on a map in the visitor centre how much of the park was burnt in early December, I wonder if these 2 had been displaced by the fire?
On the part of track near the Emu enclosure were a pair of roosting Tawny Frogmouth(s?) - one a reddish coloured individual.

At Apple Tree Bay (morning tea stop) there was a Wedge Tailed Eagle circling above the wooded slopes on the west side.

Cheers
Tom Wilson

PS For those that saw my RFI re Powerful Owls (having dipped at Devlins Creek on 26 December), I forgot to mention that we did hear (but not see) a group of Gang-gangs feeding, somewhere on the wooded slopes of the Lane Cove valley near South Turramurra, walking up to the Canoon Road Tennis Courts.  (Thanks to all those who responded to the RFI - I'll let you know how we get on when my brother returns from a weekend away.)