birding-aus

A good mornings birding

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A good mornings birding
From: "Birds of Perth" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:27:44 +0800
Sunday 10th November 2002 08:00 - 10:00am

Had a great morning out at Market Garden Swamp, Spearwood, WA with the Friends group - quite a good little spot for birdies. Got a bit hot by 10am though and now I'm dead tired. Thanks to Ms McLay for the invitation to join the group on the outing and to Clive Napier for leading the group.

What did we see:
Pink-eared Duck (with young)
Australian Shelduck
White-eyed Duck
Pacific Black-Duck (with young)
Grey Teal
Black Swan (with fully grown youngsters learning to fly)
Eurasian Coot (with young)
Purple Swamphen
Hoary-headed Grebe
Australasian Grebe
Little Pied Cormorant (with young)
Little Black Cormorant
Australian White Ibis
Straw-necked Ibis
Black-winged Stilt
Silvergull
Willie Wagtail
Grey butcherbird
Mudlark (with young)
Australian Magpie (with young)
Australian Raven
Singing Honeyeater
Brown Honeyeater
Red Wattlebird
Silvereye
Welcome Swallow
Rainbow Bee-eater (heard but not seen)
Laughing Turtle-dove
Australian Ringneck
and last but definately not least .. about 3 pairs of Inland Thornbill. (Thanks again to Clive for this suggested species - checked the field guide and you were spot on!)

On the return journey home I also spotted a pair of Swamp Harrier, one Great Egret and Pacific Heron at Lake Yanjubup.
Claire Stevenson