birding-aus

Leeton area

Subject: Leeton area
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 20:43:53 +1100
Hello all,

Birdwatching results form the weekend (central west NSW):

Fivebough Wetland (Leeton)- Aust. Bittern (3), Spotless Crake (3), Aust Crake (2), Black-tailed Native-hen, Orange Chat (3), Peregrine Falcon (1), Brown Quail, Red-necked Avocet (~50), Black-winged Stilt (~50), Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (100+), Marsh Sandpiper (50+). We didn't actually investigate the waders closely so there was probably other species around. Despite searching we located no snipe, either Latham's or Painted. There has been quite an influx of Orange Chats into the Riverina in the last few months. This time last year the only Orange Chats I could find were around were small parties of resident birds out back of Booligal.

MIA 1 State Forest (south of Yanco)- Superb Parrot (nesting), Eastern Rosella (nesting), Cockatiel, Yellow Rosella, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Red-rumped Parrot (the forest was alive with parrots), Tree Martin (nesting), Brown Treecreeper, Dollarbird, Restless Flycatcher, Blue-faced Honeyeater, and Painted Honeyeater (2 places- feeding on fruits of mistletoe on red gums).

Superb Parrots south of Yanco- three birds and then two birds flew over the road on the way back to Yanco.

Boree remnants loaded with mistletoe on roadsides at Yanco and Widgelli both had Painted Honeyeaters, 7+ at Yanco and 4+ at Widgelli. The mistletoes are just starting to fruit and the Painteds have breeding on their minds.

Cheers,

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW