birding-aus

Robbed in Port Augusta

Subject: Robbed in Port Augusta
From: "Chris Hankel" <>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:06:21 +1030

Sound advice Barry.
A few weeks ago on  pleasant spring Sunday afternoon I drove to one of my favourite local birding and walking areas, Hardys Scrub, just above McLaren Vale, south of Adelaide and part of the Onkaparinga National Park. On pulling into the parking bay at one of the entrances, I opened the door to see a pile of shattered glass at my feet.
So I drove around to the other side of the park where there was a car park well off the road, but realized that this was probably more of a risk.  So, not being game to walk too far from the car, I just wandered about 5 minutes along the walking track and spent nearly an hour within about 50 metres. And would you believe, I saw more species by just standing around and keeping reasonably still in that small area, than I'd ever seen walking through the whole park. So no exercise, but lots of birds.
But I'm still very angry that that delightful scrub walk so close to home has now been denied to me. I k now I can avoid leaving any valubles in the car, but I don't want to have to fork out for the cost of repairing broken windows either!
Cheers
Chris

Chris Hankel
Reynella SA