birding-aus

seven years of birding aus

Subject: seven years of birding aus
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:17:42 +0000
With all this discussion of contributions to Birding-aus I have suddenly realised that I have been subscribed to birding-aus for SEVEN years.

During that time the membership of and contributions to the group have certainly changed. Back in 1995/96 (pre Thomas and Thomas!) it was mainly trip reports, with a large number of subscribers very quickly using these reports to climb upwards towards the 600 figure (yours truly being one).

Nowadays I have to say that I probably only see in my in tray about two-thirds the messages posted (because of blocking senders), and of those I only read about half (lack of time).

What I most enjoy are trip reports (especially to areas of the country and world I?ve never been to?dream on), and accounts of how the country is looking around and about (to assess drought and conditions), and intelligent discussing of bird ecology, distribution and behaviour.

I also hang out for reports of rarities and am still waiting for:

Letter-winged Kite, Painted Snipe and Little Button-quail (within striking distance of Canberra), Phalarope sp (on coast near Sydney),
and probably others I haven?t thought of.

Also very important for pelagic trips reports.

The rest I?m not very interested in, particularly politics, as, most of you will have guessed, I?m well to left/green of most of you, and believe that capitalism will inevitably gobble up the world, there being nothing to stop it, it?s merely a question of how many species it will take before it collapses.

And as for AFL...

I?ll try not to post again this year, unless I can supply any of the desiderata listed above.

John Leonard

John Leonard (Dr)

http://www.webone.com.au/~jleonard
PO Box 243, Woden, ACT 2606, Australia