birding-aus

stewart and ulva islands

To: <>
Subject: stewart and ulva islands
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:12:02 +1000
Lorne

Stewart Island and Ulva Islands are FANTASTIC.  I was there in January 2001 and
easily occupied 4 days and could have used
another couple of days there.  There are plenty of walks and areas to explore.
It's a long way to get there, so ensure you
allow a good amount of time on Stewart Island.

Foveau Express, Phone No. (3) 212 7660 or 03 219 1134 runs the 1 hour catamaran
ferry between Bluff and Stewart Island.
Campbelltown Buses, Phone No. (3) 212 7404 collected me from my accommodation
in Invercargill for the 40 minute trip to
Bluff.  The alternative is to spend more and fly Invercargill to Stewart Island.

BROWN KIWI:
Phillip Smith fax 0064 3 219 1144, Phone 0011 64 3 219 1144 runs these tours
via Department of Conservation concession.  You
MUST BOOK - if you try standby you could be severely disappointed as these are
controlled regarding numbers and dates due to
Dept of Conservation requirements.  There is no such thing as running extra
trips due to lots of people wanting to go.  Due
to high summer, these trips leave about 9pm (sunset on 5 January 2001 was
10.15pm!!) and return at 2am.  Magical and
virtually guaranteed to see the Kiwi - Phillip said he's only missed them a few
times in years.

ACCOMMODATION
On Stewart Island I stayed at The Nest, transfers & breakfasts included and
found this B&B to be well located.  Lorraine &
Lin Squires  Phone 03 219 1310 (sorry I haven't kept their email address but
see below).  Their son Michael runs fishing
trips and took me out birdwatching on the boat - excellent views of Yellow-eyed
Penguin.  The freshly cooked fish on the way
home - yum yum.  My mouth is watering at the memory!!

In Invercargill go to Queens Park for the Little Owl.

See www.nz-accommodation.co.nz    This was an excellent website for finding all
standards of accommodation, including an
email booking service direct to the individual accommodation operator.  I
booked 5 weeks worth of accommodation through this
and most operators correctly had my booking (one had my booking but stuffed up
the standard that I wanted).  Stewart Island
does have backpacker / inexpensive style accommodation - but it is a popular
time of year and I'd recommend booking ahead.

ULVA ISLAND
Bruce Story at Thorfinn runs trips there - need booking also
 or www.thorfinn.co.nz).  Was relatively
leisurely trip with Bruce leading - and he found some good NZ special birds
which might be otherwise difficult to find
(Bellbird, Tomtit, Brown Creeper, Grey Warbler, Red-crowned Parakeet).  An
alternative is to take a water taxi to the island
and simply agree a time for the taxi to come and collect you.  Take your own
drink/lunch.

For birds, see www.nzbirds.co.nz    Note Dunedin Royal Albatross colony at
Taiaroa Heads on Otago peninsula.  I used The
Field Guide to the Birds of NZ by Heather and Robertson and found this a good
choice.

210 km north of Christchurch is Kaikoura - the pelagics are extraordinary.  Try
to get there if you can.

Cheers and Happy Times with Nature

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW Australia
S 33°50.278'  E 151°05.406'