birding-aus

Brown Songlark and Zebra Finches, Bacchus Marsh

To: <>
Subject: Brown Songlark and Zebra Finches, Bacchus Marsh
From: "Joy Tansey" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:48:17 +1000
Abandoning submission writing to sneak out for a few hours this morning,
took Alan Grennon, Jen Spry and Lois Howard out  near Bacchus Marsh. The
very first little brown bird on the Rowsley-Exford Rd produced Brown
Songlark on a fencepost and Zebra Finches calling overhead. Once the
Songlark flew off we backed up a little to find a group of approx 10 Zebra
Finches feeding on the ground with Yellow-rumped Thornbill and Goldfinch
providing variety. The crop fields in this area were alive with Pipits and
Skylarks but we weren't able to scare up a Bushlark. Further along, on
Reid's Rd a second small group of Zebra Finches were found.

Before entering the Brisbane Ranges we also came across the first Rainbow
Bee-eater for the summer, more White-browed Woodswallows and a large number
of Diamond Firetails. Restless Flycatcher, Jacky Winter, Dusky Woodswallow,
Fairy Martin, Fan-tailed Cuckoo and Brown Falcon were some of the others
also present.

The Brisbane Ranges themselves produced our first Sacred Kingfisher for the
season, and sadly, a dead Collared Sparrowhawk by Switch Rd adjacent to the
Stony Creek picnic ground. Also present were FTCuckoo, Horsefield's Bronze
Cuckoo, Shining Bronze Cuckoo (calling), Mistletoebird, Rufous and Golden
Whistler, Brown and White-throated Treecreeper, and Scarlet Robin.

In all, 62 species for the morning, and another four lifers for Alan, to add
to his three of yesterday. Not bad after 10 weeks in southern Victoria. Alan
leaves tomorrow, heading for Gluepot. I'll have to find another diversionary
tactic.

Joy Tansey
Kensington, Vic.