birding-aus

Mount Isa news

To: "Birding Aus Messages" <>
Subject: Mount Isa news
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:43:49 +1000
G'day all,
The Isa, like most of Oz is having a drought. We only got a few inches during the 'wet" season. Lake Moondarra is 1/3 full and the shoreline (on the west side) has moved out over 600 metres. Last Saturday I recorded 40 species.

But strangely the number of waterfowl is reducing.  The number of Black Swan is down to a 1/10th. I wonder where they are going ? The range of species on the water is the same, but the area surrounding the lake is very quiet. The only honeyeater was a Brown H/e. Only a few of the overseas Waders have turned up. Mainly Sharp-tailed S/p, a few Marsh S/p and several dozen Red-necked Stint which are an irregular visitor to the Isa. But Saturday I recorded at least 18 Freckled Duck. It could have been more, as I was not sure if I was seeing them several times over. There were also plenty of Red-capped Plover with the parents keeping an eye on their fluffy stumpy tailed chicks.

At the Sewage Ponds area (45 species last Monday) there were
18 Red-necked Avocets... 3 times more than I have seen before. 1 Black Swan (a first there for me)
1 Freckled Duck, 1 Curlew S/p, 2 Wood S/p, 2 Common S/p, 2 Marsh S/p
The Spotted Crake is still in residence. I was told that a Black-necked Stork had been there for a week. Could be the one that had been at the Isa Street Bridge also for a week, and now next to the Moondarra Caravan Park. I have recorded 127 species at the ponds

I was informed that Ian Clayton's "Birds & Bush Tours" from Townsville saw a Grey Falcon at Clem Walton Park on 10/9/02.
That cheers me up. BA queried my record of one along the Gunpowder River (in identical habitat) some time back & suggested the GF not found in this area.

Sunday afternoon I saw a pair of Brown Goshawks about 200 m from home. I suspect they may have started a nest. I wonder how they will accept the Blue-winged Kookaburras that live in the same area.

At the Golf course early Friday morning the common bird seemed to be our local Ringneck, the Cloncurry Parrot. Perhaps the same 3 just followed us around the course.

My own home is now regularly visited by the noisy birds. Lately Little Corellas, Galahs and Sulphur-crested Cockatoos take over in the evening from daytime visitors Grey-crowned Babblers, Spotted Bowerbirds & a Grey-shrike Thrush
But no Dollarbirds, Koels or Channel-billed Cuckoos yet.

The birdwatching visitors from down south (Mexicans ?) have virtually ceased passing through the City with the current temp a very pleasant 37C. Only a few had success recording the Carpentarian Grasswren at the McNamara Rd site (60km NW of Mount Isa)

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
For Birding places around Mount Isa (and a lot of other good stuff) look at the Birds Qld web page at http://birdsqueensland.org.au/