birding-aus

Grey Falcon

To: <>
Subject: Grey Falcon
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:33:37 +1000
Hello all,

Travelling back to Deniliquin from Griffith on Friday 13th, what is superstitiously meant to be a bad day turned out to be one of good fortune.

After leaving the Kidman Way, turning right along the McLennans Bore Road (south of Coleambally) I stopped shortly after crossing over the Cadell Road. Initially what was meant to be a short stop (nature called) tured into a long one when a group of Noisy Miners one by one called in alert.

Soon the disruptor came into view, a light grey bird with black wingtips, tail slightly fanned. Its appearance I likened to a Grey Falcon I had seen almost 12 months ago at Goolgowi. As it moved on I followed it though the Boree maintaining watch of the bird. In its gliding the bird would occasionally bank, showing the grey body of a Grey Falcon.

Finally after following the bird for twenty minutes or more it came down to perch at the top of a dead Boree. I was amazed that the Noisy Miners in the area would not come and harrass the bird but preferred to keep an eye from a distance. Perched, I observed the bird a while longer until it took off again as happily as it had come down.

This observation adds to the interesting sightings which are being made around the southern Riverina at the present as a result of the dryness. Other intersting birds observed in the area of recent times includes Swift Parrots, Musk, Purple-crowned and Little Lorikeets, Budgies, Fuscous and White-fronted Honeyeaters and a pair (now single individual) Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo.

What a place to be!

Cheers
David Parker