birding-aus

Spare seat: car to Mackay in Sept. + birding enroute & Mackay area

Subject: Spare seat: car to Mackay in Sept. + birding enroute & Mackay area
From: "desley williams" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 01:40:50 +0000
From Desley Williams to birding-aus

I am currently staying with family members on the Sunshine Coast and will be returning to my home at Bucasia Beach, Mackay some time in September.    I would like to take another person with me to share driving expenses etc.

Are there any birdos who would like to visit the Mackay area and go looking for Eungella Honeyeater and other tropical species not seen in the southern states.  As my mother is in residental care I can offer accommodation for a short period.  My friend also has accommodation (budget rates) on her 80 acre property near Mackay.   I live just 2km from one of Mackay's beautiful Northern Beaches:  Bucasia, and 6km from The Spit Blacks Beach. The local environmental group Econorth is desperately trying to prevent the Spit being developed.  The Spit has 115 bird species, mostly waders, also nesting Flatback Turtles.       Planned itinerary as follows:

1.  Depart from Maroochydore, travelling to Mackay via Burnett Highway visiting Cania Gorge  or Bunya Mountains or direct to Rockhampton via the Bruce Highway.  There would be a choice of taking the inland route from Rockhampton seeking  inland dry country species, perhaps stopping at Lotus Creek overnight, or the Bruce Highway visiting Clairview Beach for waders, also resident dugong.  I stopped here on the way down and found 6 Beach Stone Curlew.
2.  Accommodation en-route:  camping or cabin/caravan.
3.  I suggest up to a week in Mackay visiting  the following good birding sites:
Kinchant Dam (194 species), a large man-made dam with adjoining eucalypt forests,  the home of 1000s of water birds including rarities. 100 species have been recorded during 24 atlas surveys.
Eungella  National Park for rainforest species and a good chance of seeing Eungella Honeyeater in September.  Adjoining Eungella National Park is the Crediton State Forest (dry country species) and at the foot of the range is the very popular Finch Hatton Gorge.    Eungella is also famous for its platypus.   These sites have budget accommodation and camping facilities.
4.  The visitor would return home at own expense (at present time discount air fares operate out of Mackay).  I can deliver to airport or bus/rail station.
5.  Vehicle:   Toyota Starlet (manual)
6.  Climate:   Warm, best time of the year pre-marine stinger season.

Regards   Desley Williams

Birding-Aus is on the Web at www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line) to