birding-aus

Northern Shoveler on Ash Island

Subject: Northern Shoveler on Ash Island
From: Phil Hansbro <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:29:12 +1000
Received a great phone call from Richard Baxter at 10.15am this morning that he was watching the Northern Shoveler on Ash Island. So I rushed off saw it and was back at work by 11.30!! Thanks Richard. Anyway I wanted to let everyone it is still there ASAP in case anyone is planning to travel for it.

The bird is on Ash Island which is accessed via a narrow bridge which turns off North from the Pacific Highway (111) just west of Hexham on the road to Taree. The bridge is signposted Kooragang. Follow that road for exactly 4 Kms going around 3 90 degree dogleg turns and past the visitors centre or bunker (on right hand side). The bird was on the back of the pond on the North side of the Road. This pond is exactly 1 Km from the 3rd dogleg.

Richard told me that it was first seen on the large lake across the railway line on the East end of Ash (or Koorgang) Island.

If anyone needs help drop me a line (see below).

Cheers
Phil.

--
Dr Phil Hansbro