birding-aus

Now I don't question .... for I know

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Now I don't question .... for I know
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:23:54 -0700 (PDT)

G'day All,

After a day yesterday, that I could have done without, far too many birds being killed by speeding thoughtless motorists .... I wondered what would be the chances of having placed along local roadsides, this is a designated young bird flight path area? or some sort of "warning sign" for fast driving motorists? just a thought but then we would have to do the same for wayward bulldozer drivers eh?

Yours Sincerely an extremely mad JAG,

Warning: Dead Koalas, Slow Down
Tue Jul 23, 3:21 AM ET

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Koalas dead ahead, slow down.

Koalas killed by cars are to be painted a fluorescent red and left on the side of roads for 24 hours in a "Stephen King-style" shock tactic to make Australian motorists drive more carefully through the marsupials' breeding grounds.

The shock tactic has been adopted by the Redlands Shire Council east of Brisbane in the tropical state of Queensland in the hope of protecting its large koala population, a council spokesman said on Tuesday.

Last year 609 koalas were hit by cars and trucks on the shire's tree-lined roads, and 146 of those died.

"Roadkill" koalas are now having a fluorescent red strip painted on them as part of a six-month trial to warn other motorists to look out for the cuddly but slow-moving marsupials as they cross the road.

"It might put some people in the shoes of those who have to scrape the koalas off the roads," said Australian Koala Foundation executive director Deborah Tabart.

But not all councilors supported the tactic.

"I think leaving dead koalas on the road for 24 hours is going to frighten young children," said councilor Alan Beard.

< Previous Story
Mail to Friend  Email Story
Printer Version  Print Story
Next Story >
Where did Most Popular go?

Message Boards Message Boards: Post/Read Msgs (4 msg Jul 23, 11:00 AM ET)

More Science - Reuters Stories
· Environmentalists Urge Iceland to Scrap Alcoa Plan
Tue Jul 23,11:55 AM ET - (Reuters)
· Studies: Cholesterol Drugs May Cut Alzheimer Risk
Tue Jul 23,11:00 AM ET - (Reuters)
· Illegal Log Trade Threatens Russian Tigers, Ecology
Tue Jul 23,10:38 AM ET - (Reuters)
· 'N Sync Star Signs Initial Deal for Space Flight
Tue Jul 23, 9:30 AM ET - (Reuters)
· Number of Japanese Ill from Diet Pills Exceeds 200
Tue Jul 23, 8:28 AM ET - (Reuters)

Services
? Daily Emails
? Free News Alerts