birding-aus

Cranbourne on Sunday

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Cranbourne on Sunday
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:52:58 +1000
Evening, folks.

Paid an afternoon visit to the Cranbourne Botanic Gardens Annexe (about 40 km SE of Melbourne CBD) on Sunday and found plenty of activity.  Fan-tailed Cuckoos were calling for much of the time along the southern fringes of the main bushland area, and a single Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo was seen in a dead tree at the Wylie Creek wetlands.  As well as Pacific Black Ducks there were three Chestnut Teal and two Hardheads, lots of Golden Whistlers (good views of three different males), several honeyeater species (White-naped, White-plumed, New Holland, White-eared, Eastern Spinebill, Red Wattlebird) and an almost unending stream of Pacific Gulls in flight overhead, mostly heading south towards Western Port.  This is the only place I know of where Pacific Gulls can regularly be seen several kilometres inland.  Also one obliging Koala.  A great spot for a winter stroll, and plenty of promise for the spring.

Couple of unusual sightings around home (Glen Waverley, ~ 20 km east of Melbourne centre) - seven Red-rumped Parrots (including five males) peacefully foraging on the half-forward flank during my son's footy match at Glendal Primary School on Saturday morning (the team could have used some key position parrots!) and a solitary Laughing Kookaburra in High Street Road Mt Waverley on Sunday morning.  First home neighbourhood sightings of both species in over six years.

Thanks for all the great responses to my Swan Hill RFI - what a wonderful forum this is!

Regards,

    Jack